NEWBIE: Oracle8 NT setup questions

From: David Thom <davidt_at_npsinc.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 16:41:50 -0500

Just installed Oracle 8.0.5 on two NT 4.0 SP4 servers. Server A will be the "production" database, Server B will hold the Enterprise Manager respository
(it's actually my desktop system).

First, I'm trying to get Enterprise Manager running on Server B; page 8-7 of the Getting Started manual says to start Server Manager (command prompt) and connect to the repository. But I get the error message: "TNS: unable to connect to destination" (both when I start svrmgr30 and when I enter the connect command).

I tried running the Net8 Easy Config on Server B, but its test fails with both Bequeath or IPC, so something's really wrong.

Questions:

  1. do I have to configure Net8 even when connecting to a local database?
  2. did my choosing "none" for the sample database (on Server B) during setup cause this problem?
  3. what NT Services should be running on Server B? Mine show only OracleTNSListener80 and OracleWebAssistant as started

Any help greatly appreciated!

(replies via email preferred, but please post here too)

David Thom Received on Mon Apr 26 1999 - 16:41:50 CDT