Re: Commit for a single table?

From: Ed Delaney <edwardd_at_earlham.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 07:17:13 -0500

What do you mean "for the sake of transactions I don't want many commits"? Commits are almost 0 overhead, all the work is done, all that happens in a commit is the rollback data is marked as no longer needed, and the transaction is marked committed. Just go ahead and commit what you want. Don't mess with trying to control this, if you have performance issues, look elsewhere.
The entire basis of RDBM'S is predicated on the "all or none" notion of a transaction, and all uncommitted data being visible only to the current transaction.
ed