installing on linux (RH5.2)--quick and dirty?

From: Dave Atkins <daveatkins_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 17:07:48 GMT

I am trying to do a quick evaluation of Oracle and downloaded/untarred the files, etc., but I'm finding that it looks like it will take me a day just to figure out how to install it.

The Oracle documentation is very through, but it assumed you know how to do things like tweak kernal parameters.

Is there a simple guide to getting it up and running? Specifically, I have run across these questions:

  1. are the recommended kernal parameters a must? Where are these files--somewhere in /etc?
  2. the docs say I need 4 mount points, etc. Do I need to repartition my filesystem or can I just create directories under /home/oracle or something?

I ran the orainst/orainst and set environment variables when prompted and got to a screen where it wanted all the paths to things like ORACLE_BASE, ORACLE_SID, etc. I tried to assigne directories under /home/oracle, but it just exited after that.

I guess they couldn't make it as easy as config, make, make install, etc. :)

So, should I plow through the oracle documentation, figure out how to do everything they say, or is there an easier way??? I don't suppose there is an oracle RPM like there is for Sybase???

Thanks!! Received on Fri Apr 09 1999 - 12:07:48 CDT