Re: A couple of Newbie Questions

From: Frank van Bortel <f.van.bortel_at_vnl.nl>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 11:11:46 +0200

Michael Myers wrote:

> > Obviously the connection to my database is bad, I just don't know what/how
> > to resolve. Why does my connection keep failing?
>
> Don't know :)

It probably times out - it's a feature. Any TIMEOUT entries in SQLNET.ORA or LISTENER.ORA should be
set to 0 (no time-out)

> > 2) I've also got Developer/2000 installed but when I try to go to Forms
> > Builder and connect, after I enter my valid user/password/database
> > combination, D2000 just freezes and locks up like it cannot connect to the
> > database.
> >
> > 3) Why doesn't SQL*Plus 3.3 work? I installed SQL *Plus 8.0 and it works
> > fine ...
>
> Questions 2 and 3 are related. SQL*Plus 8.0 uses Net8 to connect to the
> database. SQL*Plus 3.3 uses SQL*Net 2.3.4. So does Developer, so if
> SQL*Plus 3.3 won't connect, neither will Developer.
>
> Your database connections for Net8 are defined in
> <Oracle_Home>\orant\net80\admin\TNSnames.ora Connections for SQL*Net
> 2.3.4 are in <Oracle_Home>\orant\network\admin\TNSnames.ora If you
> haven't added anything to the latter, I would just copy the TNSnames in
> ..net80\admin into ..network\admin and it should work.

Or add tnsadmin to your registry (HKLM\Software\Oracle), with a value of <Oracle_Home>\net80\admin

That assures only one place to keep your network configuration files.

--
Frank van Bortel

Technical Consultant Oracle
V&L Informatica BV

Work                                Home
Postbus 545                         Hunzestraat 4
7500 AM Enschede                    7555 WB Hengelo
(31)53.434.1500                     (31)74.242.5046