Re: A couple of Newbie Questions

From: Michael Myers <mjmyers_at_nospam.blazenet.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 1999 23:52:04 -0400

> Obviously the connection to my database is bad, I just don't know what/how
> to resolve. Why does my connection keep failing?

Don't know :)

> 2) I've also got Developer/2000 installed but when I try to go to Forms
> Builder and connect, after I enter my valid user/password/database
> combination, D2000 just freezes and locks up like it cannot connect to the
> database.
>
> 3) Why doesn't SQL*Plus 3.3 work? I installed SQL *Plus 8.0 and it works
> fine ...

Questions 2 and 3 are related. SQL*Plus 8.0 uses Net8 to connect to the database. SQL*Plus 3.3 uses SQL*Net 2.3.4. So does Developer, so if SQL*Plus 3.3 won't connect, neither will Developer.

Your database connections for Net8 are defined in <Oracle_Home>\orant\net80\admin\TNSnames.ora Connections for SQL*Net 2.3.4 are in <Oracle_Home>\orant\network\admin\TNSnames.ora If you haven't added anything to the latter, I would just copy the TNSnames in ..net80\admin into ..network\admin and it should work. Received on Mon Apr 05 1999 - 22:52:04 CDT