Re: How do I become an Oracle DBA?

From: <finleyd_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 23:10:39 GMT

In article <zEyB2.1679$gU1.7772_at_axe.netdoor.com>,   Harry Boswell <hboswell_at_lance.netdoor.com> wrote:
> .. What exactly does a "consulting
> DBA" do? DBA work has always seemed involve more post-implementation
> work than anything else, once the app is running and being maintained.
> So, are "consulting DBAs" actually just contract DBAs that are there
> day in and day out?

As one who has been employed as a "consulting DBA", I have found myself employed in several roles:

  1. Some organizations do use "Contract DBAs". In one org. I've worked with in a totally unrelated area (Y2K), most of their Unix SysAdmins and Oracle people (DBAs and developers) were on contract. In some environments with low pay levels for regular staff, this is the only way to obtain experienced staff.
  2. "Hard-Core" DBA skills can be VERY helpful when you are setting up a new Database. This is especially true when you want to implement a database "fast". I've been employed several times in this capacity, and hope to find future employment here.
  3. DBA skills are also VERY helpful in Database Development. You have an understanding of what a Database is all about, can design / create tables, views, users, groups, etc. Especially helpful is the ability to create backend Stored Procedures.
  4. Sometimes, the local DBAs are inexperienced/clueless. An experienced "Consulting DBA" can setup scripts that can be used / maintained by less experienced staff DBAs. For example, I was involved in developing an application (MS-Access front-end, Oracle Back-end, and a "dash" of Perl <G>) for a client. The client was having problems setting up daily/weekly back-ups for their Oracle dbms. Their DBA was fairly smart, but she had little DBA experience (she was a Unix SysAdmin, Oracle was only a "sideline") . I had not done a lot with Oracle as a DBA, but had done a lot for Sybase and Microsoft SQL Server. As the "one-eyed man" on the scene, I was drafted to implement the backup scripts.