Disk Space: Solaris vs. NT

From: Craig Duncan <crd1_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 19:30:39 -0500

Hello out there...

I recently exported a small application from a Solaris box and imported it to an NT box. I was quite surprised that the application was about 48M on the Solaris box vs. about 80M on the NT box. What's up with the different file sizes?

Here's some particulars:

    Export from:

        Solaris 2.51
        Oracle 7.3.3
        48M application

    Import to:
        NT 4.0
        Oracle 8.05
        80M application

Another question concerning the same application:

    All data tables and indexes were in the same tablespace. After importing to the NT box, I moved the indexes to a separate tablespace. The index segment size was 291M (for the 80M application on NT). Is this normal?

    After all this I exported from the NT box and re-imported, no change in size of datafiles.

Not what I expected....

Craig Duncan Received on Fri Feb 26 1999 - 18:30:39 CST