Re: How do I become an Oracle DBA?

From: Harry Boswell <hboswell_at_lance.netdoor.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 14:58:39 GMT

OraSaurus <granaman_at_not_home.com> wrote:
: Probably. I know of one person who took the Intro class, the DBA class,
: the tuning class, the backup class - and didn't really understand any of it.
: They then spent about 3 months writing truely atrocious SQL, then managed
: to get a job with a national consulting company - as the world's worst
: consulting DBA! (In this job market, people can sometimes get away
: with anything. I recently had one $200/hr "database consultant" ask me
: what an "entity" is! REALLY!)

That brings up an interesting point. What exactly does a "consulting DBA" do? DBA work has always seemed involve more post-implementation work than anything else, once the app is running and being maintained. So, are "consulting DBAs" actually just contract DBAs that are there day in and day out?

--

Harry Boswell                 hboswell_at_netdoor.com
USDA Zone 8 (Mississippi USA)