Re: How do I become an Oracle DBA?

From: <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 15:33:10 GMT

Reply inter-mixed with questions
In article <Qpsz2.5221$po.2141_at_c01read02.service.talkway.com>,   "Robert Shanks" <robnanshanks_at_sprynet.com> wrote:
> I'm an engineer in the (collapsing) mining industry looking for a
> carreer change. I need to find a career that will get me back to
> $60K/year fast. Oracle DBA seems to fit the bill. I'm quite
> proficient in MS Access but have no Oracle experience.

It is my opinion that Oracle DBA salaries cover a very large range. The salary level depends on the local site job requirements, shop size, experience, and ability level. A lot of employers do not pay anywhere near 60K, but some do, and contractors can make up to 120K, but few make over 80K.  You generally need experience with SAP or People Systems software along with Oracle for the really big money.

> Question 1: is there a big difference in complexity of say Oracle 8 and
> Access? - is it reasonable for me to think I can get up to speed on
> Oracle 8 without using it day in day out.

Big difference, yes. Can you learn Oracle withoug using it every day? Maybe, but you will need to use it, to learn it. I suggest you get your hands on the personal version. It used to be available for free download from www.oracle.com.

> Question 2: Are the Oracle CD ROM tutorials really effective assuming
> no other Oracle exposure - can I pass the certification exams using
> only the CD ROMs?

Whose tutorials? And which ones? Most of the tutorials are for Oracle Tools like Developer 2000, Designer, Oracle Discoverer, and so on...

> Question 3: Are the CD ROM tutorials availale used (parting with that
> $6K would kill me right now) - is that even legal, are they licenced
> only to the original purchaser?
>
> Question 4: If the answers to Q3 are favorable, where would I find a
> seller?
>
> Question 5: Assuming I'm pretty smart and work a couple of hours a day
> on the tutorials, how long till I'm a "certified Oracle proffesional"?

The test is supposed to be designed so that you can not pass them without experience, but I think it can be done. I have yet to take an OCP exam, but I took and passed the prior Oracle 7 certification and think it could be done; however, I find it unlikely anyone will hire anyone to be a DBA without prior Oracle work experience. Most Oracle DBA's are either former Oracle developers or were DBA's working with DB2, Informix, or Sybase. It would probably be easier to get a job as an Oracle developer than a DBA. As far as I know Access does not require a DBA. Creating forms and reports is a developer's job, not a DBA's. A pure DBA installs Oracle, lays it out, builds objects, and monitores database performance and growth, performs backup and recovery procedures, and maybe confers on application (ERD) design issues. The smaller the shop the more likely the DBA is to also write some code. I have talked to a shop manager where all the SQL is written by the DBA. The screen developer says what he whats to do and the DBA codes the SQL statement for them so the job requirements to vary considerablily.

> Question 6: Assuming I bust ass, pass the exams and get certification,
> will someone give me a job with no actual DBA experience and no coding
> / programming knowledge.

Hard to say. Passing the exam and making the effort could be enough for some managers to take a chance on you since the industry is suffering a shortage of qualified people. Still you are probably going to need more than one skill set to land a decent job with opportunity to advance in salary. I suggest you take a language, C++ or Java, at a local community college as well.

If you are willing to relocate you may find that the large employers in the industry, like EDS, CSC, and IBM may well be interested in giving you a chance, but it really depends on you and the timing of your application. The big demand today is Web based applications. Good luck.