How do I become an Oracle DBA?

From: Robert Shanks <robnanshanks_at_sprynet.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 06:15:12 GMT

I'm an engineer in the (collapsing) mining industry looking for a carreer change. I need to find a career that will get me back to
$60K/year fast. Oracle DBA seems to fit the bill. I'm quite
proficient in MS Access but have no Oracle experience.

Question 1: is there a big difference in complexity of say Oracle 8 and Access? - is it reasonable for me to think I can get up to speed on Oracle 8 without using it day in day out.

Question 2: Are the Oracle CD ROM tutorials really effective assuming no other Oracle exposure - can I pass the certification exams using only the CD ROMs?

Question 3: Are the CD ROM tutorials availale used (parting with that
$6K would kill me right now) - is that even legal, are they licenced
only to the original purchaser?

Question 4: If the answers to Q3 are favorable, where would I find a seller?

Question 5: Assuming I'm pretty smart and work a couple of hours a day on the tutorials, how long till I'm a "certified Oracle proffesional"?

Question 6: Assuming I bust ass, pass the exams and get certification, will someone give me a job with no actual DBA experience and no coding / programming knowledge.

Any advice from someone who has some experience in the above would be much appreciated.

Regards

Robert Shanks