Re: WAS / Java / Cursors

From: Robert Krueger <krueger_at_signal7.de>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 13:32:13 +0100

Sam Jordan wrote:
> =

> Hi
> =

> I'm using Web application server 3.0.1 to access an Oracle 8 db
> (for Linux). Now I'd like to write programs in Java, which are
> started through the Java cartridge and which should access the db.
> =

> Problem: all sample programs seem to evaluate the number of rows
> first (select count(*)) before reading the data, to be able to
> provide arrays with sufficient size, and this seems to be inefficient.
> Is there no way to use a cursor concept in Java? Note, that I don't
> like to communicate between Java programs and PLSQL programs, since
> this would have to be done through ICX, which requires to use the
> Java native interface (JNI seems to be quite unusable in jdk 1.0.2).
> Therefore my preferred way to access Oracle data from Java is to
> call stored procedures, as done in the sample programs found in the
> WAS distribution.
> =

> Has anyone made experiences with the Java cartridge by accessing
> an Oracle DB? Some general hints about methods and strategies are
> very welcome.
> =

> bye
> --
> Sam Jordan

have you tried using prepared statements? =

try something like

    CallableStatement cstmt;
    ResultSet cursor;
    =

    // Use a PL/SQL block to open the cursor     cstmt = conn.prepareCall
      ("begin open ? for select name,age from data1; end;");     =

    cstmt.registerOutParameter (1, OracleTypes.CURSOR);     cstmt.execute ();
    cursor = ((OracleCallableStatement)cstmt).getCursor (1);     =

    // Iterate through the result =

    while (cursor.next ()){

      String name = cursor.getString (1);
      int age = cursor.getInt (2);

      // do whatever ...

    }

(-) Robert Krüger
(-) SIGNAL 7 Gesellschaft für Informationstechnologie mbH
(-) Brüder-Knauß-Str. 79 - 64285 Darmstadt, =

(-) Tel: 06151 665401, Fax: 06151 665373 (-) krueger_at_signal7.de, www.signal7.de Received on Sat Feb 20 1999 - 06:32:13 CST