WAS / Java / Cursors

From: Sam Jordan <sjo_at_spin.ch>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 08:52:08 +0000

Hi

I'm using Web application server 3.0.1 to access an Oracle 8 db (for Linux). Now I'd like to write programs in Java, which are started through the Java cartridge and which should access the db.

Problem: all sample programs seem to evaluate the number of rows first (select count(*)) before reading the data, to be able to provide arrays with sufficient size, and this seems to be inefficient. Is there no way to use a cursor concept in Java? Note, that I don't like to communicate between Java programs and PLSQL programs, since this would have to be done through ICX, which requires to use the Java native interface (JNI seems to be quite unusable in jdk 1.0.2). Therefore my preferred way to access Oracle data from Java is to call stored procedures, as done in the sample programs found in the WAS distribution.

Has anyone made experiences with the Java cartridge by accessing an Oracle DB? Some general hints about methods and strategies are very welcome.

bye
--
Sam Jordan Received on Mon Feb 15 1999 - 02:52:08 CST