Re: Oracle-8 server and old clients

From: Marcin Buchwald <velvet_at_gis.com.pl>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 14:16:55 +0000

Philip Thambidurai wrote:

> If we upgrade our server to Oracle-8 (from 7), will the remote clients
> still run
> without a rebuild? The clients are designed to use SQL*net and not
> Net8. If we don't use Net8, what if anything do we really lose?
>
> Thanks
> Philip Thambidurai

Not Always.

Generally, I did not detect any serious problems with ODBC connecions in my project.

I got PowerBuilder 6.0/Oracle 7.3.4 app that uses ODBC and gateway (native) connections.
Now it should work with O 8.0.5. On Windows NT there is no problem. Powersoft's
gateway driver for 7.3 works fine with NT client machine, but witch WIN95 it gets
ORA-03121. Recompilation is not a sollution in this exaple because WIN95 client doesn't
recogenize 8.0.5 serever via 7.3.4 driver.

BTW Does anyone know the sollution for my problem. I don't need PB70 as far as now...

Martin.