Re: Truncate vs Delete

From: John P. Higgins <jh33378_at_deere.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 19:22:42 -0600

I think (d) none of the above.

Oracle only inserts into blocks on the table's FREE LIST.

A block is removed from the FREE LIST when it has less than 10% free space left.

Row deletes increase the free space in a block. When the block has more than 60% free space, it goes back on the FREE LIST.

So space is eventually reused without anyone doing anything 'special'.