Re: ORA - 03121 - No interface driver connected - function not performed

From: <cathexis_at_erols.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 01:52:43 GMT

On 16 Feb 1999 22:10:29 GMT, "Sekhar Surapaneni" <surapaneni.s_at_worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I bought a trial version of Personal Oracle 8 and Developer 2000 rel 2.1 for
>windows 95. Now, i was trying to build the Developer 2000 database tables
>but i was not able to build the tables. When i tried to build a form using
>form builder and wanted to connect to the database for the tables i was not
>able to connect to the database instead i got this error "ORA - 03121 - No
>interface driver connected - function not performed". I tried to connect to
>the database using scott/tiger and system/manager but i got the same error
>message.
>
>Please help me solve this problem.
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Jyotsna
>
> Hey there,

        I'm no Oracle expert, but I might be able to help you. First, a brief history;

        Back in December, 98, I and two other Oracle classmates acquired the same software to install on the same O.S. as you and guess what? We got the same message-- and it was a bear to fix. Forget about calling tech. support; one of us wasted > 2 hours on the phone with Oracle claiming they never heard of the problem and saying

really useful things like, "Why don't you just re-install and call me back??"	Duh!
	Since that time I've posted similar help messages to others like you
 (3 times). In other words, HEY ORACLE!! ARE YOU AWAKE!! CUSTOMER DIS-SATISFACTION HERE!!         Really, though, it's my only complaint about the product (except for poor help files- which seems to be an Oracle tradition). As best as we could determine, the problem seems to be that P.O.8/ Dev 2000 wants to see your WIN95 pc as a network even if you tell it otherwise. Since a *networked* pc can't be its own server, it fails to  connect. That was our best guess.

        The trick is to kill *most of the SQL*NET files. It doesn't always  help to chose *custom install* because Oracle Installer will put some in anyway(good grief!@) . My friends and I all eventually did install and since install we've had no trouble with this otherwise very cool product. We took slightly different paths to success but this is the one that worked for me:

  1. Delete EVERY Oracle file you can find( use Explorer if needed).
  2. Install DEV2k first, kill ALL *NET files ( So, if you custom install, go back in to *install/remove* and make sure). 3.Install P.O.8 custom option, no SQL*NET
  3. Fire up and test. If still fails, go back into install/remove and using trial and error, delete *NET files until victorius.
  4. When working, do a *select * from emp; * and pat yourself on the back. It's been a bitch.

	Hope this helps,
			Cathexis