Re: HELP ! My ORACLE Performance Dropped

From: Satar <satar_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 22:21:22 GMT

In article <36b84143.0_at_news.tpm.net.my>,   "verghese kochummen" <verghese_at_vcmail.tpm.com.my> wrote:
> Need help on this problem. Please provide any guiding clues as I have run
> out of theories of my own.
>
> my system's performance has dropped drastically recently. my question is as
> follows :
>
> 1. If my hard disk capacity is at 90% (~ 1GB free). how serious is this
> implication on performance. previously i had about 2 GB free when the
> performance was good.
>
> 2. i have a table that has about 28 million records and this table is quite
> heavily used for the process that i am having performance problems with. i
> was told that the table was created with a pre-allocated table space and
> that it should not affect performance so long as there is space allocated.
> My question is : I have to indexes on this table and each index uses a
> combination of 4 fields. When there are 28 million records in a table, is
> the indexing process a factor in performance drop even though there is space
> available on the disk.
>
> any guiding input will be greatly appreciated. thanks.
> jadzien.

If performance drastically changed, look into I/O contention on the drive that holds the datafile(s). Run utlbstat/utlestat to give you a better look of things.

Also, look into row chaining, table extents, ect.

Regards,
Satar
Oracle DBA/UNIX System Admin
"Opinions are the result of the voices in my head only, and do not reflect my employer or Oracle Corporation."