Re: Oracle vs VB/SQL

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 12:54:45 +0200

David Crewe wrote in message <70hhr5$3fu2_at_extnews.sunalliance.com>...

>Quick question, for an enterprise development of around 60 concurrent
users,
>what be the advantages of choosing Oracle over VB/SQL. Does anyone know of
>any discussion documents.

That should be Oracle vs. SQL-Server and Visual Basic vs. whatever else you're thinking of using as a development tool.

Oracle vs SQL-Server... Not even worth while to get into this. You can not compare almost 20 years of growing and leading edge database technology with a database that is written on borrowed code within the limitations impose by the Microsoft NT Marketing Dept. And if you're still not convinced, then... Nah, think that will get me arrested. ;-)

Seriously though, the only good reason for buying SQL-Server (if that can be called a reason) if the system is very small and unlikely to grow. Unfortunately Oracle comes with a price tag which is (or at least was) much higher than SQL-Server. But then that is the small price you pay for unlimited growth and flexibility.

Development tools. Depends on the database you select and the environment you want to roll out. VB is a good tool for SQL-Server development, but sucks when it comes to Oracle connectivity (and I don't give a shit what you ODBC sellers say - I have NEVER came across a decent Oracle ODBC driver and I have tried lots of them).

Oracle Forms. I dislike it as it is very restrictive and nowhere near as powerful as VB - not even to mention products like Powerbuilder or Delphi. My choice is of course Delphi. But then that's maybe biased as I have been writing client server systems for many years now and know a good development tools when I see one...

regards,
Billy Received on Wed Oct 21 1998 - 05:54:45 CDT