Re: Help displaying time in 1/1000th seconds

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 1998 18:36:29 GMT

A copy of this was sent to "Paul Reavis" <preavis_at_hopkinscarley.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Fri, 2 Oct 1998 10:54:30 -0500, you wrote:

>I think I have a kludge/fix in converting a date to a number (to_num) and
>then dividing out the days... to get the mod of seconds for a time and then
>present this distinct from the time to get the sub-second interval -- I
>think this will work but I have not tried it yet. But I suspect that there
>_has_ to be a more elegant way....
>
>All the to_char(...) formats seem to end at ss and I need something more
>precise.

The Oracle date datatype only keeps time down to the second -- there is currently no way to get better then a second's resolution from the date datatype.

There is the function dbms_utility.get_time (or the table v$timer) that returns the number of hundred'ths of seconds from some arbitrary epoch in time that you can use to time events but you cannot use it to tell the TIME (it beats on a different schedule from the system clock)...

>Thanks for any help you might offer.
>
>Paul Reavis
>preavis_at_hopkinscarley.com

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Herndon VA

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Fri Oct 02 1998 - 13:36:29 CDT