Re: Need for Skilled Oracle People Bogus?

From: Reg Burgesss <Reg_Burgess_at_Stratus.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 16:13:15 -0400

JamesBri4 wrote:

> I have recently completed several Oracle courses and feel that I am techniquely
> proficent. Now, I'm interested in starting in the industry but every one is
> looking for two years experience. What's the deal? How can you gain experience,
> if experience is required to get your foot in the door? Can some enlighten on
> this works? Interested in hearing (reaind) responses.

You may need to look for jobs that have requirements for skills you already have the ~2 or 3 years experience in. The Oracle skills may be listed as "additional nice to haves", though not essential. This is assuming you have 2 or 3 years work experience in SOMETHING that isn't too great of a leap away.

BTW, a friend of mine got dumped from a sales position in plastics, he had some background knowledge in polymers but couldn't get another half decent job in the plastics industry because he had no TECHNICAL qualifications. After a very long time he decided to take a long course of computer based commercial art courses; Photoshop, QuarkXpress, Illustrator, a couple of others. Naturally he couldn't get a job using that training either, right now he's doing web pages for a plastics company.

R Received on Tue Sep 15 1998 - 15:13:15 CDT