Re: No mutating table with an update of the same table in a trigger?

From: Stefania <S.Negroni_at_ads.it>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 12:51:02 +0200

Jean-Luc ha scritto nel messaggio <6sh6jh$3nu$1_at_newton.a2000.nl>...
>Hello everybody,
>
>A while back I was strolling through the database, when I encountered a
>before-row-insert
>trigger on a table. In it, there was an update statement of the same table
>the trigger was
>linked to. I was convinced that this would lead to an mutating table, but
it
>didn't.
>
>Does anyone have a rule about when a trigger excepts with a mutating table
>(and when not)?
>
>Greetings, Jean-Luc

In the manual

ORACLE 7
SERVER APPLICATION DEVELOPER’S GUIDE
RELEASE 7.3 Page: 9-13:

There is an exception to this restriction; BEFORE ROW and AFTER ROW triggers fired by a single row INSERT to a table do not treat that table as mutating or constraining. Note that INSERT statements that may involve more than one row, such as INSERT INTO emp SELECT . . ., are not considered single row inserts, even if they only result in one row being inserted.

Hope this help

Bye
Stefania Received on Thu Sep 03 1998 - 05:51:02 CDT