Re: career advice

From: Michael Levitin <Mich_at_vorkuta.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 12:50:18 GMT

Kris Klindworth wrote:

>"Yes and boot camp is a lousy way to become a real soldier. Hand them a rifle
> and send them into battle. That's my motto!"
>
>You don't really believe that all of a persons training should be in a production
>environment do your? I mean, sure you have to get some experience "under fire,"
>but it is better for EVERYONE involved if your first experience doing real DBA
>work was in a training environment.

I think that the best way is to perforn Mr. Mr. Blackhall's with conjunction of real workins as junior DBA. Because I don't think that all situations that takes place in a real environments, can be simulated in a trainig room :-)) Experience is experience, theory is theory. Knoledges without using .... :(

>Following Mr. Blackhall's advice will give the novice a solid foundation to build on.

Yes. I'm agree :)

>Of course then the trick is getting the opportunity to work in that real environment,
>but that is Mr. Blackhall's step 3. ;-)
>
>BTW: I traveled through Mr. Blackhall's "blend alley". His suggestions
>are exactly how I became an Oracle DBA.

I became an DBA through parallel execution of Mr. Blackhill's steps - not sequently :) Reading & experimenting & working in the real enviroment. But, not to experimenting on it :). Possibly it's because absolute absence of oracle train companies for that time in Russia.

--

            CU, Michael.

Michael Levitin
nic-hdl: MLL10-RIPE
mailto:Mich_at_vorkuta.com Received on Wed Aug 26 1998 - 07:50:18 CDT