Re: career advice

From: Kris Klindworth <kris.klindworth_at_carle.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 17:55:42 -0500

Michael Levitin wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Aug 1998 13:55:44 -0700, Malcolm Blackhall
> <blackhal_at_midtown.net> wrote:
>
> >STEP 2: Learn everything you can about Oracle (or, Sybase, Microsoft SQL Server,
> >Informix, DB/2 or whatever other database system you are interested in).
> >
> >Get an evaluation of copy of Oracle and install it at home. Play with it.
> >Configure it. Program it. Don't have a computer that will run Oracle? Buy one
> >that can! Learn everything you can from books like Oracle 8 The Complete
> >Reference and Oracle 8 DBA Handbook. At work, take advantage of any opportunities
> >that arise to work with Oracle.
>
> I think, it's a "blend alley" : IMHO, it's unpossible to get real knowledge
> not on еру real systems. In this case, you can configure your Oracle DB
> forever, but if you have not practice in a real environments - it's poor
> job. Only real practice on the real systems can made real DBAs.

"Yes and boot camp is a lousy way to become a real soldier. Hand them a rifle  and send them into battle. That's my motto!"

You don't really believe that all of a persons training should be in a production environment do your? I mean, sure you have to get some experience "under fire," but it is better for EVERYONE involved if your first experience doing real DBA work was in a training environment.

Following Mr. Blackhall's advice will give the novice a solid foundation to build on. Of course then the trick is getting the opportunity to work in that real environment, but that is Mr. Blackhall's step 3. ;-)

BTW: I traveled through Mr. Blackhall's "blend alley". His suggestions are exactly how I became an Oracle DBA.

Kris Klindworth                         kris.klindworth_at_carle.com
Oracle Database Administrator     602 West University
Carle Clinic Association                Urbana, IL 61801