Re: startup/shutdown scripts

From: Chris Muir <cmuir_at_mitswa.com.au.no.spam>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 01:45:40 GMT

Hi Tony.

Under DEC UNIX 4b I suffered a similar fate with my Oracle startup/shutdown scripts. I eventually found it was a problem with the 'rsh' command. I've included my complete script. You probably don't need it all but I hope it helps you.

Regards,

        Chris :)

<--start of script-->

#!/bin/sh

# Automates Oracle Server startup and shutdown.
# Note the use of su rather than rsh as suggested
# by Oracle. It appears that rsh doesn't work
# under DEC UNIX 4 for unknown reason. In turn
# note the use of the -c option on the su command
# to execute a command as the oracle user.
# Chris Muir 12/12/97

ORACLE_HOME=/u01/app/oracle/product/8.0.4 PATH=${PATH}:$ORACLE_HOME/bin
HOST=Bobafett
ORACLE=oracle
export ORACLE_HOME PATH

if [ ! "$2" = "ORA_DB" ] ; then
# rsh $HOST -l $ORACLE /sbin/init.d/oracle $1 ORA_DB

        su - oracle -c "/sbin/init.d/oracle $1 ORA_DB"
        exit

fi

# LOG=$ORACLE_HOME

LOG=$ORACLE_BASE/admin/AGWA/logbook/dbstartup.log touch $LOG
chmod a+r $LOG

case $1 in
'start')

        echo "$0: starting up" >> $LOG
        date >> $LOG
        # Start SQL*NET V2
        if [ -f $ORACLE_HOME/bin/tnslsnr ] ; then
                echo "" >> $LOG 2>&1
                echo "Starting Oracle Listener"
                $ORACLE_HOME/bin/lsnrctl start >> $LOG 2>&1
                echo "Starting Oracle SNMP Listener"
                $ORACLE_HOME/bin/lsnrctl dbsnmp_start >> $LOG 2>&1
        fi
        echo "Starting Oracle Server"
        $ORACLE_HOME/bin/dbstart >> $LOG 2>&1
        ;;
'stop')
        echo "$0: shutting down" >> $LOG
        date >> $LOG
        # Stop SQL*NET V2
        if [ -f $ORACLE_HOME/bin/tnslsnr ] ; then
                echo "" >> $LOG 2>&1
                echo "Stopping Oracle SNMP Listener (then sleeping 2
seconds to allow execution to complete)"
                $ORACLE_HOME/bin/lsnrctl dbsnmp_stop >> $LOG 2>&1
                sleep 2
                echo "Stopping Oracle Listener"
                $ORACLE_HOME/bin/lsnrctl stop >> $LOG 2>&1
        fi
        echo "Stopping Oracle Server"
        $ORACLE_HOME/bin/dbshut >> $LOG 2>&1
        ;;