Re: Oracle Vs Access

From: <lbarbour.pico_at_wisne.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 15:42:33 GMT

In article <35C864C5.C8EF7FA2_at_barlocher.co.uk>,   info_at_barlocher.co.uk wrote:
> I have been using Access for the last 18mths or so and would like to try
> another database - namely Oracle. I would say i was at an intermediate
> level with Access - but im not from an IT background and do not have an
> IT degree. How easy would it be to learn Oracle? I would appreicate any
> advise.

Oracle is all that I've used. I've used MS Access a little and seen the major differences in the to databases. Oracle is mostly used for larger, networking issues in large companies with large (GB, TB) size databases. The major difference that I saw when I started working on Oracle was that the DBF files are nowhere to be found and that you don't think like that anymore. A DBF file is no longer a database. An Oracle database holds many DBF files on a server somewhere in someother building in the company. Another major difference is that you can't just buy a product, ie MS Access, and build your database and all of the nice little reports and queries that you would use to look at info. You must get the Oracle7 or 8 Server, which is the database, then get another front-end application to do all of the queries and stuff like that.

There's a lot more... The thing is people don't just go and learn Oracle. They must take classes, buy books, get training, etc,etc. All this being said, I would never want to push you away from Oracle. Oracle does work for stand alone PC type of deal. I'm actually doing that at home right now. Oracle, I think, is the way of the future, so everyone should learn it, or at least some kind of SQL.

Try buying some books or grabbing a class from Oracle ($$) if you can. O'Reilly & Associates have some great books by Steven Feuerstein.

HTH Lyall Barbour