Advice please - Sequences, how do you use them?

From: Carl Sarelius <Carl.Sarelius_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 10:59:52 +1000

Hi,

I'm new to Pers Oracle 8 (and Oracle in general) and I'm after some = advice.

For an assignment I have created a number of tables and put them in a = project. Each of these tables has a primary key identified. To ease data = input (at this stage through Navigator) I found a reference to the = "sequence" statement and created a sequence with the aim of = automatically creating the next number when inputting data.

My question is - how do I use it? My manual is not so clear on the = method of execution. Also does the primary key attribute that the = sequence will update need to be of a specific data type?

Advice appreciated.

--
Carl Sarelius
Carl.Sarelius_at_bigpond.com