Re: Advice please - Sequences, how do you use them?

From: Max Berle <no-spam.max.mberle_at_pironet.de>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 13:54:18 +0200

Carl Sarelius wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new to Pers Oracle 8 (and Oracle in general) and I'm after some
> advice.
>
> For an assignment I have created a number of tables and put them in a
> project. Each of these tables has a primary key identified. To ease
> data input (at this stage through Navigator) I found a reference to
> the "sequence" statement and created a sequence with the aim of
> automatically creating the next number when inputting data.
>
> My question is - how do I use it? My manual is not so clear on the
> method of execution. Also does the primary key attribute that the
> sequence will update need to be of a specific data type?
>
> Advice appreciated.
>
> --
> Carl Sarelius
> Carl.Sarelius_at_bigpond.com
> Melbourne, Australia

hi carl,

you use sequences in this case inside a trigger accosiated with the table, e.g.

create sequence seq_problem_report
start with 1000
increment by 1;

create or replace trigger tr_problem_report

        before insert on problem_report for each row

declare id number;

begin

	select seq_problem_report.nextval into id from dual;
	:new.id := id;

end;
/

hope this helps...

--
cu maxx

to reply just remove the no-spam. from my address Received on Wed Aug 05 1998 - 06:54:18 CDT