Dev/2000 [Forms 4.5] under Win95: how to control Magic menu items

From: Duncan MacGregor <aa735_at_FreeNet.Carleton.CA>
Date: 1998/07/03

At work, we are running Forms 4.5.7 (Dev/2000 v. 1.3.2) with Oracle 7.3.3 under Windows 95. The problem we are encountering has to do with the "Window" magic menu item.

In Forms 4.5, one can designate a menu item or sub-menu as "magic", which means that Forms itself will fill in the item(s) that go with or under it. However, we also ran into problems with the MDI window support built in to Oracle Forms. [Our work-around is to tell each window to maximize as soon as it is fully open and stay that way, with the actual code in the form-level trigger WHEN-WINDOW-ACTIVATED.] The problem is that we put in the "Window" magic item in the menu. We had to supply this in order to get a list of windows that are currently open. Alas for ease, it also supplies a command called "Cascade", which disables maximization and causes all the MDI problems (that we got rid of by maximizing the window) to re-appear!

How does one obtain the functionality of the "Window" magic menu item (the list of currently-open windows) without that bothersome "Cascade" menu item? Is there any way to disable MDI child windows without losing track of the windows currently open? [Only one of the forms/windows should be visible at a time.]

Any ideas?

--
Duncan MacGregor | aa735_at_freenet.carleton.ca  | #include <disclaimer.h>
Also at: "http://www.ncf.carleton.ca/~aa735/" | To err is human ...