Re: Oracle or SQL Server?

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 1998/05/29

Ahab Johnson wrote in message <356D6F02.4AC3_at_epnet.com>...
>We are now developing a second generation database. The current db is
>about 5 GB on SQL Server 6.5 dual P-200 NT box with no RAID. The
>requirements for the second generation db call for 7 x 24 availability
>with fail-over and load balancing capabilities through parallel servers
>accessing a single raid box or multiple replication servers. The new
>database will probably be slightly bigger experiencing moderate but
>steady growth.
>Can these requirements be reliably met using SQL Server replication or
>would we be better off seeking a solution using Oracle Enterprise
>server.

Oracle Parallel Server (OPS) has been around for quite a while now, and is robust and mature. Can you say the same about the yet to be released SQL-Server 7 that is going to incorporate parallel features for the first time?

From an OPS point of it is a "been there, done that" comment. SQL-Server is the new kid on the block - it has yet to reach maturity.

So you can guess which one I recommend. :-)

regards,
Billy Received on Fri May 29 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT