Re: Oracle or SQL Server?

From: Jim Horsch <jhorsch_at_ameritech.net.nospam>
Date: 1998/05/29

So how come every time Ellison demos it it crashes? Also depending on your configuration and which version of Oracle you use you may require using a DLM. In version 7.x you had to use a third party DLM and in version 8.x you use new software (almost like version 1.0)! I haven't used Oracle in a while but had many problems with a third party DLM (cant blame Oracle on it but still not a solid product due to the dependency.) Anyway SQL 7.0 wont have this functionality. It will be version 8.0 of SQL Server before you see something like this. Not really bashing Oracle because their database product seems to be much more solid and more bug free than SQL Server 6.5. Now if we started talking about Designer or Developer products then we would have a different story. I think Oracle has its place and so does SQL Server. For mission critical computing I would probably vote Oracle/UNIX. Oracle is much more 24x7 friendly than SQL Server 6.5. As for product maturity remember that Oracle 8 introduced quite a bit of new code. Look at all of the problems that Oracle is having with users migration to version 8. I think SQL 7.0 is geared toward canned software packages that dont need a DBA but need performance and reliability. SQL 7.0 is almost self tuning and easy to maintain where Oracle requires a DBA that knows what hes doing and lots of custom scripts. Im not saying that SQL 7.0 wont be handling 100GB+ 24x7
databases but I think due to the reliability of NT that Oracle/UNIX is a better solution. Received on Fri May 29 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT