Re: NT:Oracle ODBC driver are poor.

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 12:30:20 +0200

Glen Lalonde wrote in message <35623DFC.2D213971_at_interlog.com>...
>I just found it strange that the oracle drivers from oracle were
>not as good as the MS producted ones for Oracle.

I think that the reason is that ODBC is, was and forever will be a "standard" that was forced down our throats by Microsoft. I think that Oracle developed their ODBC driver as a nice to have for use with Access or Excel - it's main purpose to import data into "office applications". Oracle are pushing their own development tools which do not require ODBC, and frankly ODBC sucks when it comes to most high-end mission critical client-server applications.

OTOH Microsoft needs to keep on pushing ODBC. If they want to gain a foothold in the Oracle client development market, they need a good ODBC driver. Afterall, companies like Borland/Imprise, the PowerBuilder crowd, Oracle and others do not use the ODBC technology. So Micorosoft developed an okayish ODBC driver for the poor saps that have to use VB to develop Oracle client applications.

'nuff said?

regards,
Billy Received on Thu May 21 1998 - 05:30:20 CDT