Re: Connect with TCP/IP?

From: Paul Smith <syd_at_compuserve.comz>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 13:29:17 GMT

"Terry Engelstad" <terry_at_interaccess.com> wrote:

>Does anyone know why, when I try to connect to my Ora8 server across our LAN
>using TCP/IP, it starts up my dialer. When I click on cancel (without
>completing the dial-out) it connects fine. If I let the dialer finish
>dialing to my default (which is my ISP) it still connects just fine. If I
>remove the TCP entry from tnsnames.ora and leave a named pipe entry it works
>just fine. What is it about TCP that makes it want to have a phone
>connection. Is it the Stack????

I've had this all along on my Windows 95 setup With Oracle 7.3. I've been informed by various people that it's caused by the initialisation of the sockets DLL. My original thoughts on this were along the lines of "if the machine I want to talk to is already on my local network and already in my hosts file, why the heck does the dial-up dialog appear?" It appears that whoever wrote sockets didn't think the same way as you or I...8-(

I just put up with it, since it only happens on my personal machine, which has DUN installed.

--
Paul Smith
Technical Manager, SDR Systems Ltd