Re: Access vs Oracle

From: Nuno Guerreiro <nuno-v-guerreiro_at_telecom.pt>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 10:46:07 GMT

On 9 May 1998 10:53:20 GMT, sbufton_at_x.x (S Bufton) wrote:

>On Fri, 24 Apr 1998 16:20:24, nuno-v-guerreiro_at_telecom.pt (Nuno
>Guerreiro) wrote:
>
>::Imagine you are working in a project for a bank and have a table which
>::contains bank accounts. You need to transfer money from one account to
>::another - this turns out to be 2 operations:
>::
>::.. decrease account A1
>::.. increase account A2
>::
>::Imagine there is a hardware failure between the 2 operations.
>::
>::While Acces would leave your table in an inconsistent state (with the
>::debt executed),
>
>Only if the program is badly written. It is just as easy to use
>transactions in Access as Oracle,

Well, it looks like I was misinformed about Access - it does provide Transaction Management. Does it always work in transaction mode? For example, when you create a simple form and the user is inserting new records, updating others, etc. I believe that transaction mode is optional and when Access is used by default, it issues a save or post operation after every change (insert, update, delete).

>and you'd have to go through crash
>recovery procedures in both cases, which are much quicker in Access
>than Oracle....

Can Access recover from a server hardware failure or network failure in which there was a database shared by many users and at the moment of failure the database was being modified?

Where does Access store information about the operations which comprise a transaction?

I think it is in a logfile in the workstation's TEMP directory if you're using the Microsoft Jet engine, although I'm not sure about this. But if this is so, how can it recover from network errors in which access to the server is lost or the workstation's OS crashes? Will it be able to bring the database back to a consistent state, i.e., undo all operations from an incomplete transaction?

>But if you're running a bank on Access, let me know, so that I can
>warn my friends to choose another bank :-)
>
> Steve

Don't worry. I won't be giving you that trouble :-)

Nuno Guerreiro Received on Mon May 11 1998 - 05:46:07 CDT