Re: what is this sqlplus output?

From: <brendan_o'brien_at_wrightexpress.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 09:58:57 -0600

Simple. Your query results are wrapping. Upon opening sqlplus, you need to reset the 'linesize' option. The default is 100 characters per line. Before issuing your query, set it to 100 chars by typing the command:

set linesize 1000

Re-issue your query. The result set should now span horizontally for 100 characters and you can simply scroll right. What you're currently seeing is a mish-mash of column names, header separators (the rows of hyphens) and your actual query results, all wrapping so that they don't line up vertically in an intuitive way. A wider linesize should fix it.

If you're running a 'window'ed version of sqlplus (as opposed to the sqlplus command line in UNIX, you should have an option menu where you can set many environment variables in addition to linesize. In either 'window'ed or command line sqlplus, the 'set' command followed by the environment variable name and desired value (e.g. 'set linesize 1000') will accomplish the same thing as setting your options through the 'Options' menu. Just keep in mind that each environment variable you change through the options menu should be followed by a click of 'OK' before re-opening 'Options' and setting another variable. In other words, you can't change more than one setting at a shot.

Peace,
-Brendan