Re: what is this sqlplus output?

From: Jonathan Gennick <gennick_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 16:26:32 GMT

On Wed, 22 Apr 1998 22:18:34 -0500, Martin Meadows <mmeadows_at_indy.net> wrote:

>I just ran a command in sqlplus that produced output I don't understand.
>Can someone please explain it?

>PUBLIC
>PAYROLL_TRANSACTION_DETAIL
>OPS$KTCO
>KTCOPROD_PAYROLL_TRANS_DETL
Sure.

PUBLIC = This is a public synonym. It affects everybody. PAYROLL_TRANSACTION_DETAIL = the synonym name. OPS$KTCO = The owner of the real transaction detail table. KTCOPROD_PAYROLL_TRANS_DETL = the real table name.

Because this synonym exists, any reference to PAYROLL_TRANSACTION_DETAIL in a query is replaced by OPS$KTCO.KTCOPROD_PAYROLL_TRANS_DETL. In this case, the synonym provides a less cumbersome way to reference the table. It may be easier for some users to remember "payroll_transaction_detail" then to remember "KTCO...".

regards,

Jonathan Received on Fri Apr 24 1998 - 11:26:32 CDT