Re: using sqlplus to login as a different user than os user.

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 20:47:00 GMT

A copy of this was sent to dosa_at_huitzilo.tezcat.com (Ben Kim) (if that email address didn't require changing) On 14 Apr 1998 12:01:04 -0500, you wrote:

>Hi,
>How can I login to Oracle under scott user id when
>my Unix user id is patty using sqlplus /
>I know that I can use os authentication, but my
>unix and oracle user ids are totally different as I described above.
>I thought there was a sqlplus hidden file that I could
>use so that when I type sqlplus /, sqlplus will read in
>both user id and password from this hidden file and
>allow me to login to oracle.
>Right now, our database is setup such that both
>unix and oracle user ids must be identical,
>and oracle user is identified externally.
>But this will not solve my problem because I need
>to make both Oracle and Unix ids totally different.
>Can someone help me?
>My e-mail address is dosa_at_tezcat.com
>thanks!!!

You can't do that. You must become SCOTT in the OS if SCOTT is identified externally. It would completely subvert the entier authentication process if you could override it just by putting a username in a file (there are no passwords to be supplied in OS authentication -- the OS tells us who you are)

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Herndon VA

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Tue Apr 14 1998 - 15:47:00 CDT