using sqlplus to login as a different user than os user.

From: Ben Kim <dosa_at_huitzilo.tezcat.com>
Date: 14 Apr 1998 12:01:04 -0500

Hi,
How can I login to Oracle under scott user id when my Unix user id is patty using sqlplus / I know that I can use os authentication, but my unix and oracle user ids are totally different as I described above. I thought there was a sqlplus hidden file that I could use so that when I type sqlplus /, sqlplus will read in both user id and password from this hidden file and allow me to login to oracle.
Right now, our database is setup such that both unix and oracle user ids must be identical, and oracle user is identified externally. But this will not solve my problem because I need to make both Oracle and Unix ids totally different. Can someone help me?
My e-mail address is dosa_at_tezcat.com
thanks!!!