Re: Beginner: Query performance testing tool ?

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 1998/03/17

Steffen Krause wrote in message <350e6e1d.1204261_at_eunetnews.de.uu.net>...
>I need to test the reasons of slow query performance. I want to know what
>the DB does (used indexes, query execution order, number of reads etc.).
 How
>can I find this out in Oracle (7.3.3, WinNT)

Use the EXPLAIN PLAN statement to see how Oracle is going to process the SQL statement (look in the SQL Reference Manual for syntax and examples).

When running the query, look at the following tables: v$session_wait - event for which the session is currently waiting

                   for (e.g. read)
v$sesstat        - system stats for the current session
v$session_events - accumulated totals of top events that occured for
                   the session

The crucial thing of course is to RTFM! :-)

regards,
Billy Received on Tue Mar 17 1998 - 00:00:00 CST