Re: Beginner: Query performance testing tool ?

From: Ed Prochak <edprochak_at_interfacefamily.com>
Date: 1998/03/18

You should look up "explain plan" and autotrace. I am learning more about these features currently. The plan shows what the optimizer determined is the lowest cost way to perform the query. The plan does not actually execute the query, so number of row counts is an estimate.

The autotrace feature is supposed to show every thing the plan does and additional information such as cpu utilization and disc activity. I haven't tried this yet (at least I haven't gotten results out yet).

Keep in touch, and I'll try to pass more info on as I find out.