Re: Help: Connect to Oracle via MTS using ADO?

From: Daniel Goertzen <goertzen_at_norscanNOSPAM.com>
Date: 1998/02/24

Hi Thomas,
I can't say I've done much programming in this area but I read the MTS chapter in my VB book and this is what I picked up:

  1. Any com object should work under mts, but you will only be taking advantage of the thread pooling capabilities.
  2. To take advantage of connection pooling, you should only connect to the database when you need data, ie, establish a connection at the start of each function and release it before you return.
  3. To take advantage of object pooling, you can have your object release itself early by opening an interface to mts and letting it know. I didn't quite understand or remember this one, but it somehow keeps the number instances of objects under control.

The book also said that these middle tier object under mts control should be stateless. I think this was a requirement for object pooling.

Of course this all could be BS because I've never tried any of this at all...

Good Luck,
Dan.