Re: Database Authentication on Webserver 3.0?

From: Robert Cordingley <cord_at_ragesoft.NOSPAMMERZ.com>
Date: 1997/10/02

It's simpler than it really seems. When you create the DAD, you UNCHECK the box that says "save password." Then in the plsql agent, you tell it the username of the DAD owner. You DON'T SET UP ANY PROTECTION SETTINGS!!!! The act of leaving the DAD password off tells it you want to use database authentication. The problem with this is that your oracle usernames and passwords are going to be sent across the network in plain text. There iis no way that I know of to use digest style encryption in combination with Oracle usernames and passwords. There is another, more sophisticated way to use database authentication in combination with database roles to give finer granularity but I have yet to persuade it to work. If this doesn't give you enough to fix your problem, send me e-mail tomorrow and I'll post some more detailed information.

Robert