Re: Database Authentication on Webserver 3.0?

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1997/10/02

On Thu, 02 Oct 1997 02:45:07 GMT, cord_at_ragesoft.NOSPAMMERZ.com (Robert Cordingley) wrote:

[snip]

>use database authentication. The problem with this is that your oracle
>usernames and passwords are going to be sent across the network in plain
>text. There iis no way that I know of to use digest style encryption in
>combination with Oracle usernames and passwords. There is another, more

[snip]

The way to get the passwords (and everything else in fact) sent in a secure fashion is to use SSL over HTTP. If you use https instead of just http, the entire conversation between the browser and the webserver will be encrypted, including the HTTP headers where the username/password is sent in a base64 encoded string.

>On 1 Oct 1997 22:48:59 GMT, lpoon_at_Glue.umd.edu (Leon Poon) wrote:
>
>>I have been trying to make the new authentication scheme (using Oracle
>>database usernames and passwords) work on Webserver 3.0, but I am not
>>having too much luck. The PDF user guide is no help and the online help
>>is not that much better either. Any ideas? Basically, all I need is a
>>simple working example (i.e., what I need to set in the config files, etc.)

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Bethesda MD

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Thu Oct 02 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT