Re: Thread 1 cannot allocate new log, sequence xxxxx

From: $ Robert $ <drsql_at_tir.com>
Date: 1997/06/18

JosephS221 wrote:

> I am getting the following message in the alert log
> when shutting down my database:
>
> Thread 1 cannot allocate new log, sequence 17764
> Checkpoint not complete
>
> This is on a NCR SVR4 box under Oracle 7.2.3. Everything
> seems to be working as it should, but this message
> worries me. Any ideas as to what's causing this?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Hugh Jorgan

This error means that the database is not done processing the check point of the file.

Should you worry: yes!

This message means that the database users are waiting to perform updates until the check point is finished.

Solutions:

  1. Add more redo log files. Your system should have at least 3
  2. or create larger redo files.

Take care,
Bob Received on Wed Jun 18 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT