Re: Thread 1 cannot allocate new log, sequence xxxxx

From: Steve Phelan <stevep_at_no-spam.pmcgettigan.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/06/16

JosephS221 wrote:

> I am getting the following message in the alert log
> when shutting down my database:
>
> Thread 1 cannot allocate new log, sequence 17764
> Checkpoint not complete
>
> This is on a NCR SVR4 box under Oracle 7.2.3. Everything
> seems to be working as it should, but this message
> worries me. Any ideas as to what's causing this?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Hugh Jorgan

I've seen this quite a lot on various UNIX platforms. Look at increasing the size of your redo logs and the number of them. Also look at mirroring the redo logs across different drives to reduce contention (and try and locate them away from your database data files.) Also look at the LOG_xxx init.ora settings. If you are archiving your redo log, try to get it on a disk away from the other database files. Received on Mon Jun 16 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT