Re: I'm the new DBA... what now?

From: Steve Phelan <stevep_at_no-spam.pmcgettigan.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/06/06

Philip Hallstrom wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm sure this has been asked about a million times, but I
> looked
> at the faqs I could find and it didn't mention it...
>
> We finally decided we needed a real database so we went with Oracle 7
> on
> SPARC Solaris (Workgroup Server).
>
> Well, I have just about zero experience with Oracle. I installed it,
> changed the initial passwords, bought several Oracle books (from
> Oracle), and am wondering where to go now (other than read the books
> :).
>
> My situation is this - I maintain our unix boxen/webservers/ftp
> servers/etc... so we are going to be using Oracle for a lot of
> backend/cgi stuff so I'm not interested in the GUI features (building
> Windose apps) of Oracle, but more interested in just getting it to do
> what I want, be stable, and secure, etc...
>
> And of course it all needs to be implemented by yesterday :)
>
> So... I've looked at various classes offered by Oracle, etc..., and
> although I'm sure they'd all be useful, I don't want to waste a lot of
>
> time.
>
> I'm sure some of you are in this same boat... can you shed some light
> on
> some good books, classes you've taken?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -philip
> --
> --
> Philip Hallstrom Sierra On-Line, Inc.
> philip.hallstrom@sierra.com http://www.sierra.com/

Well, as regards "I don't want to waste a lot of time", I say "You only get out what you put in."

Don't be in such a panic to "get on with the job". Get some proper training and take the time really understand Oracle; it's a complex product that you can't learn overnight.

If you really can't afford the time or cost of getting yourself trained up, get in some consultancy for a few days to review your requirements and options.

Steve Phelan. Received on Fri Jun 06 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT