I'm the new DBA... what now?

From: Philip Hallstrom <philip_at_rintintin.sierra.com>
Date: 1997/06/05

Hi all,

        I'm sure this has been asked about a million times, but I looked at the faqs I could find and it didn't mention it...

We finally decided we needed a real database so we went with Oracle 7 on SPARC Solaris (Workgroup Server).

Well, I have just about zero experience with Oracle. I installed it, changed the initial passwords, bought several Oracle books (from Oracle), and am wondering where to go now (other than read the books :).

My situation is this - I maintain our unix boxen/webservers/ftp servers/etc... so we are going to be using Oracle for a lot of backend/cgi stuff so I'm not interested in the GUI features (building Windose apps) of Oracle, but more interested in just getting it to do what I want, be stable, and secure, etc...

And of course it all needs to be implemented by yesterday :)

So... I've looked at various classes offered by Oracle, etc..., and although I'm sure they'd all be useful, I don't want to waste a lot of time.

I'm sure some of you are in this same boat... can you shed some light on some good books, classes you've taken?

Thanks!

-philip

Philip Hallstrom                 Sierra On-Line, Inc.
philip.hallstrom@sierra.com      http://www.sierra.com/