Re: Performance in a WAN

From: Paul <pnutts_at_writeme.com>
Date: 1997/05/15

W. Blanken wrote:

> We have developed an application using Forms 4.5 and Reports 2.5 which runs
> in a TCP/IP WAN, having 128 kb data lines. SQL*Net 2.2 is used. The
> performance of the forms is reasonable. However, the performance of some
> reports is much (up to 4 times) slower than on clients which have a 10 Mb
> connection. Monitoring of the data line, however, show that there is a
> maximum load of about 40 kb on the 128 kb lines. Does anyone have
> experience with such environments? Are there specific settings for SQL*Net
> of TCP/IP to use more of the line capacity and improve performance?
>
> Wim Blanken

I cannot help you with your problem, but wanted to comment on your statement that you find the performance of the forms reasonable. We are also using Forms 4.5 and find their performance unacceptably slow (particularly the Order Entry module). Our company is spending valuable time analyzing our network, our clients, and the individual packets as they dance back and forth to the server via TCP/IP, but not uncovering any reasons on why certain forms take 44 seconds to open on a Pentium 133 with 24 MB of RAM and Windows95.
If anyone has any tips on improving client-side performance, I would enjoy hearing about them!
Paul
pnutts_at_writeme.com Received on Thu May 15 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT