Re: Performance in a WAN

From: Nick England <nick.england_at_ejcltd.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/05/08

Hi!

To improve network performance, you could turn on out-of-bound breaks (if your version of TCP/IP supports this feature). This limits the ammount of 'polling' the DB Server performs when checking the validity of a connection. There are no implications to enabling this feature (although because it is not supported by all TCP/IP vendors Oracle does not enable it by default), and it only requires a modification of the connect string to make it work.

Oracle report a 40% increase in performance when enabled, although I did think that this was a tad optimistic.

Nick England

In article <33690451.16974461_at_news.interserv.com>, Sheilah Scheurich <scheuric_at_sprynet.com> writes
>On 30 Apr 1997 08:42:15 GMT, "W. Blanken" <100534,3512_at_compuserve.com>
>wrote:
>
>>We have developed an application using Forms 4.5 and Reports 2.5 which runs
>>in a TCP/IP WAN, having 128 kb data lines. SQL*Net 2.2 is used. The
>>performance of the forms is reasonable. However, the performance of some
>>reports is much (up to 4 times) slower than on clients which have a 10 Mb
>>connection. Monitoring of the data line, however, show that there is a
>>maximum load of about 40 kb on the 128 kb lines. Does anyone have
>>experience with such environments? Are there specific settings for SQL*Net
>>of TCP/IP to use more of the line capacity and improve performance?
>>
>>Wim Blanken
>
>Have you looked at the performance of the report itself? I would look
>at the sql commands within the report. It seems odd that the forms
>with all the GUI information, data, etc would run faster that
>something that for the most part is purely character based. It may be
>that the system is actually running efficiently, but that the
>program/report is not. Try running the report on the server itself
>(if software allows).
>
>What version of windows, what version,type of wan and what other
>connectivity software are you using?
>
>scheuric_at_sprynet.com
>-Sheilah Scheurich
>DBA

~       Nick England - Oracle Consultant                                 ~
~       Email        - nick.england_at_ejcltd.demon.co.uk                   ~