Re: Connecting to an Oracle database via internet.

From: Lun Wing San <rdbms_at_hkstar.com>
Date: 1997/04/27

rscruggs_at_nns.com wrote:

> The main question is, how can we make this happen? How much development
> can be done using Visual Foxpro 5.0 with a local database before
> continuing with development connected to an Oracle database? What
> information about the Oracle configuration at site 2 would have to be
> known? Can a standard workstation at site 2 access (through a firewall)
> an external Oracle server via the internet?

  There is no problem in developing a system through Internet (Of course the performance will not be quite good unless you use a high-bandwidth leased line).

  At site 2, it requires to know :

  1. Username and password
  2. The SID of the database
  3. The IP-address of the site 1 server
  4. The protocol used in communication
  5. The listener port number
* Please go to http://www.hkstar.com/~rdbms/oracle.htm to find other solns  *

---
Name   : Lun Wing San (Certified Oracle Database Administrator)

Title  : Oracle Database Administrator and System Administrator of QRC
Phone  : (852)27885841

This posting represents the personal opinions of the author. It is not the
official opinion or policy of the author's employer. Warranty expired when you
opened this article and I will not be responsible for its contents or use.