Connecting to an Oracle database via internet.

From: <rscruggs_at_nns.com>
Date: 1997/04/25

A Client would like to run a database on a UNIX server at site 1. Presently, the database system uses Visual Foxpro 5.0 as the database engine. All development on this system is done many miles from site 1 at site 2 on personal computers. To support this client we will need to move the data from Foxpro to Oracle and then connect to the server at site 1 from site 2 through the internet to do our development and data entry.

The main question is, how can we make this happen? How much development can be done using Visual Foxpro 5.0 with a local database before continuing with development connected to an Oracle database? What information about the Oracle configuration at site 2 would have to be known? Can a standard workstation at site 2 access (through a firewall) an external Oracle server via the internet?