SimbaExpress problems

From: Geoff Ingram <lsgvi02_at_chsrh1.agw.bt.co.uk>
Date: 1997/03/14

Randy Woo wrote:

> James,
>
> There are a couple of vendors who provide server-based ODBC solutions.
> My company has found performance gains between ODBC apps and Oracle
> via our SimbaExpress ODBC middleware product.
>
> You can check out a free trial copy of SimbaExpress from our web site.
>
> Regards,
>
> Randy

Randy, i tried free trial copy Simba Express yesterday in two configurations without success. These configurations already work with existing 2-tier drivers, like Oracle's free ones.

(1) Express/Client on NT 3.51. Database on HP9000 via SQL*Net 2

Install was fine, and services started. Got a Simba userid/password dialog box when trying to connect from a VB app using the Simba Client System DSN (name ending ..._32). Checked that a session had connected to SimbaExpress server. It had. So far so good. Entered userid/password. Got ODBC error: Driver's SQLSetConnectOption failed [Simba ODBC Client][Driver Not Capable]
[Specified driver could not be loaded]

(2) Express/Client/Oracle database on NT 4.0

Install was fine and services started OK. I tried to access the database via the client driver from VB but got a dialog saying I didnt have access to any data sources. Then tried to run User-Data admin utility. It wouldnt start. A dialog box appeared complaining that it didnt know where the SimbaExpress configuration files were located. Maybe something is missing from the registry.

Any ideas?
Apologies if I didnt read the installation guide as carefully as I should have.

Geoff Ingram Received on Fri Mar 14 1997 - 00:00:00 CST